Sunday, November 18, 2012

This summer (part 1)


 

I would like to show you what I ate this summer to help me lose almost 30 pounds!

I joined Weight Watchers (WW) on June 13, 2012 and based on their calculations (height, weight and age) I was allowed 46 pts a day! The first couple of weeks were a disaster as I went over my points daily, while making choice I though were HEALTHY!

 

Let’s do some math

 

I had to re-think the way I was eating and started working out. I gradually cut all fruit juices OUT! The points (or calories) I was drinking made me go over my WW points everyday. Think about this: 1 cup (250 ml) of orange juice = 3 pts. AND do you really only drink 250 ml at a time! I could drink 3 X 500 ml (I would fill my glass!) of juice per day! So that’s 18 pts per day. And that would leave me with 28 pts to eat!

 

SMOOTHIE OBSESION

 

I also realised that if you are cutting a food OUT, you have to find a healthy (or healthier) alternative. This is when my SMOOTHIE OBSESION started. With WW the fruits and vegetable have a 0 points plus Value. I started experimenting and soon the smooties replaced all the juice I would drink. I made it extra thick to mimic ice cream (or sorbet or frozen yogurt) during the hot summer months. I experimented with hemp milk, soy milk, almond milk, fat free yogurt, added vegetables, or spices. Often I would make a full blender of smoothie worth 3-5 pts plus on WW!

 

Here is my fave smothie recipe:

 

Mango Ginger Smoothie
 

  • 1 1/2 cups diced fresh Mangoes
  • ½ frozen banana
  • 1/2 cup Plain fat free yogurt
  • 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger (or to taste)
  • 1/2 cup ice
  • 1/2 cup water or  unsweetened almond milk

 

Well that it, for me… Try to make a food SWAP toward a healthier option! And let me know about it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment